Sunday, November 12, 2006

Recover password in Linux SuSE 10

After not using my root password for a long time, I needed it today.
But I couldn't remember it anymore! I could login with my regular user 'dgielis', but that was it... My user didn't have enough privileges to change system settings or do other "root" things. I was just a regular user.
I searched for changing my root password... and finally found it.
This is how I did it:
- On the boot screen (Gui Boot Loader of SuSE) type "init=/bin/bash"
- You get a terminal screen with almost nothing initialized or loaded (! attention keyboard lay-out can be different)
- Type at the bash prompt: mount -o remount,rw /
- To change the password, type: passwd (give a new password)
- This worked for me, if it doesn't work for you, this link can help you further.


Victor said...

It works for many different Linux distros, not only SuSe.

Arelly said...

Hello, I haven't been able to recover the lost password. I do the steps, but after mounting the sda and trying to edit de passwd file, I found that it has only the basic users and not all of them, so it's still the one on de the cd. The chroot doesn't work, and if I search in /mnt there is no sign of my files. What can I do? PS: I didn't set the computer up, I just lost the password.