This post is part of the The 10 days of APEXBlogs.
APEXBlogs itself is just the UI, in the backend you have packages (using XMLDB features) that connect to all the blogs and searches for changes. If it finds changes it will merge these changes in the tables APEXBlogs is build on. There are a couple of issues with this method:
- The more blogs you have, the slower it gets to look for changes as it needs to connect to the blog, read, search for changes, disconnect, connect to the next blog, read, search for changes etc.
- It not only became slower, it also used a lot of resources (CPU and memory)
- There are different kinds of blogs e.g. WordPress, Blogger (Blogspot), WindowsLive etc. You would expect the RSS format is universal, but it isn't, so I ended up with different code for the different kinds of blogs.
- The package was quite sophisticated as it could recognise the type of blog, but I got into trouble when people started to use their own urls (.com)