In the last days (and weeks) Oracle has been updating many of the tools a typical APEX Developer uses day-in-day-out.
Here's a graphical overview of a typical APEX configuration:
Following desktop tools got updated:
- SQL Developer 4.0
- my favourite connection to the Oracle database
- a great SQL and PL/SQL editor
- easy to configure the APEX Listener
- SQL Developer Data Modeler 4.0
- visualise your schema
- model your ERD
- Glassfish 4.0
- the webserver where the APEX Listener runs
- APEX Listener 2.0.5
- my preferred way to connect to APEX in the Oracle database
- APEX 4.2.4
- a new patch for APEX was released on Friday, the newest version of APEX is now 4.2.4
- it took about 13 minutes to upgrade from 4.2.3 and it did it without any issues
- next to some bug fixes, many of the packaged applications got updated. There are some new plugins available in those packaged apps; for ex. the fishbowl plugin
- Oracle Database 12c
- This version is already available for some time now, but I guess many people didn't upgrade yet.
- If you are using 12c, there's a nice APEX application "Multitenant Self-Service Provisioning" you can use to spin up new PDB's.