Sunday, March 16, 2008

Heading to London with the Eurostar

From Belgium to the UK... Normally I fly with British Airways to Heathrow, but this time I thought to try the Eurostar (a high speed train).

After I arrived at the Bruxelles (Midi/Zuid) station I had to go to a "yellow" door (Eurostar entrance). The passport control is pretty much the same as when you fly by plane, but the queus are not so big. You only need to be 30 minutes in advance, so that's also nice compared to the 2h in advance with a plane.

I was a bit early and went to an ice cream bar. I know somebody who would kill for some Haagen-Dazs ice cream... so Natalia here's a picture of a place full of it! Of course I had to taste some of it and I must admit it's pretty good ice cream ;-)

The travel itself was very nice and quick. One stop in Lille and some time later we were already in London. We didn't get some food in the train, but you could go to a part of the train where they offered some drinks and snacks.

I arrived in London St Pancras at 20h (UK time) and had to take the underground (called Tube) to London Victoria. All went smoothly and some time later I checked in into the Victoria Park Plaza hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when they told me I got an "Executive Room Package". I don't know what it means yet, but apparently you've some more advantages. I'll find out soon ;-)

I'm staying in the Victoria Park Plaza hotel because we start our second 3-day European Application Express (APEX) Training Days on Tuesday. Some people who subscribed for this training were also on our first training in Brussels. I look forward to meet them again and of course I'm curious to meet the new faces.

But now I'm going to search for these advantages and have a look at London!


Update: Update of train station name after comment of Jason. (Thanks Jason!)

4 comments:

Jason arneil said...

psst. Dimitri, it's st. pancras. The st. bit matters!

But why the quotes round this and "Victoria" and "Tube"?

just curious,

jason.

Dimitri Gielis said...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the comment. I changed it in the text.
The quotes I put around just to show people how it's called. I removed them now.

Thanks,
Dimitri

Borkur Steingrimsson said...

Dimi
I am in London this week, working for a client. Perhaps we can meet for a quick chat? :)

cheers
Borkur

p.s. good luck with the event!

Dimitri Gielis said...

Hi Borkur,

Sure we can meet.
From Thursday evening I'm available in the evening... Just send me a mail, you know where I'm staying ;-)

Dimitri