As I blogged yesterday, I was working on making DG Tournament SaaS.
That is completed now :-)
Let's say ODTUG would like to offer all the conference people the ability to follow the World Cup 2010 in a fun way. So they see the scores, they can bet on the games and communicate with each other.
So what are the options for me to provide them with such a service:
- I could create a packaged application from an adapted version of DG Tournament and send to them so they put it on their server.
- I could copy the database schema and APEX app into a new schema and workspace and host it for them.
- I could keep using only one version of DG Tournament, but let it behave differently depending a parameter (url, key, ...).
The biggest advantages I see in this case are:
- only one version of the app to maintain (bug fixing, performance optimizations etc)
- only one time I need to fill in the scores
- minimal time to provide this service to another company (no copy of tables, apps etc. just a new record in the database)
- have custom look (banner on top)
- if they click on the banner they go to your homepage
- if you login as an admin you can adapt the text of the homepage, so you could for ex. talk about the price for the winner
- the rankings and shoutbox are for your users alone, so nobody else will see what your people say and you have your own ranking