Thursday, September 24, 2009

New SQL Developer with Unit Testing

I just saw a twitter message of Kris Rice, member of the SQL Developer Development team, to announce the availability of SQL Developer 2.1 (Early Adopter).

I installed it on my Mac and it looks really nice. Already from the first screen you see thingst changed. It feels a bit slicker too and runs a bit better and faster at first sight.

One of the biggest new features is the Unit Testing framework for PL/SQL. I did some quick tests and it looks ok. You still need to do quiet some steps to create your tests, but as with every new thing, I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. So far there was only one real nice unit testing app for PL/SQL and that was Steven Feuerstein (Quest) Code Tester. So I'm really curious to find out how much difference there is. One of the biggest advantage of the SQL Dev Unit Testing is it runs native on Mac :-)


There are some other small enhancements in SQL Dev 2.1 like opening a package directly in Edit mode and Code Templates, they will both save me a lot of time! It's also nice there is a viewer of the Data Modeler build-in now.

A complete list of New Features you find here.

2 comments:

Scott Wesley said...

Thanks for the tip-off.

I've listed a few observations on my blog - Kris responded to a few if you're all interested in some info.

Stew said...

Thanks for this, Dimitri. I'm always looking for a better way to do this stuff.

If anyone cares, the Oracle IDE from Allround Automations, PL/SQL Developer, includes a decent unit test framework too.