Saturday, October 28, 2006

OOW - Thursday - Last Sessions and WRAP-up

The sessions I followed on Thursday... the last day at OOW...

Putting the Express back into Oracle Application Express with AJAX (by Steve Karam)
You find more information about this presentation here. I liked it and it showed again that AJAX can be powerful and something which we should all use for web development in the future.
Especially AJAX can give you a better UI and allows you to give the end-user the experience of a "full-blown" application in a browser.

Unbreakable Linux: What's Next?
This was an other explanation of Larry's Keynote and afterwards a Q&A. You find all information here.
Although I followed the keynote speech of Larry yesterday, I didn't blog about it, as already a lot of people mentioned it.
You find all details and possibility to replay the keynote here.

Welcome to My Nightmare: The Common Performance Errors in Oracle Databases (by Michael Ault)
This presentation was based on Michael Ault's experience. He discussed the problems he had seen in the last years and how to resolve them. It was not really my style of presentation, but I can imagine that a lot of people liked it.

Database Worst Practices (by Tom Kyte)
Another nice presentation of Tom Kyte, again presented with a lot of humor. His presentation was based on the first ten results he found when typing into google "oracle tuning tips". It's a bit like the previous presentation about the things you think you know. A programmer has a given style and doesn't change it for many years, but the database or the product he's working with does change! I'm not going into detail about all the topics Tom discussed, you can download it shortly from his site or from the OOW site, but I wanted to mention his first point: "You shall NOT use Bind Variables!" ;-)

Wrap it up (party)
To finish this Oracle Open World a little goodbye party was organized. Compared to the other nights, this wasn't that big... But it was fine as I was tired from the busy week ;-)

My OOW and SF pictures
You find the pictures I took in San Francisco and OOW here.
You find other OOW pictures on Flickr and on different Blogs (search in google for oracle open world).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dimitri,

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate you coming! I saw you at the blogger party as well. Hopefully we can all do the same next year.